October 20, 2008

New Job

Awhile back I mentioned that I had moved to a different department at work. Well after moving to the new position then back to the old and now half way inbetween I think they have me where they need me.....for this week!! HA HA!! So here is what I am up to at work.

I am still working one shift in the screening dept where I have been for more then a year. You know the same gig where I am screening potential post-mortum donors and approaching families about donation etc. But I have also trained in our new program where I am covering the rest of my (still part time) hours. DSI has started the Lifeline cord blood program. We are collecting umbilical cord and cord blood for the purpose of stem cell transplants and research for diseases such as leukemia, lymphoma, sickle cell anemia and many other cancers, blood disorders, immune deficiency diseaseas and genetic diseases! My purpose in this wonderful new program is to actually procure the blood and the cord. I get called out to the hospital near the end of the mothers labor. After the delivery I take the placenta and the cord. I then draw the blood and harvest the cord to be sent to the processor to begin the process of retrieving the stem cells. (wow that was putting a very big process into a teeny-tiny nutshell!!) I am very excited to be part of such an awsome program plus being near the newborn babies is an added bonus! At this point I am doing all of the "middle of the night" babies so we will see how prouctive I am with Bren after being up all night HA. But other then the sleep interruption this is a fun new challenge and it is a nice change from being in the office and talking to grieving families.

Cord blood donation is an awsome opportunity for new mom's to donate what would have been biologic waste and turn it into a life-saving resource. So if you know anyone who is expecting and want more information please let me know I would be happy to give any information I can.

No comments: